Search : 500 result(s)

Rubio Calls Israel-Lebanon Talks a 'Historic Opportunity' for Lasting Peace

At the opening of direct talks between Israeli and Lebanese Ambassadors at the U.S. State Department, Secretary of State Marco Rubio described the negotiations as a pivotal moment that could ensure stability and peace for residents of Lebanon and Israel.  “We are very honored to be joined by partners with whom the United States seeks strong ...

Lebanese President Pushes to Extend Ceasefire Ahead of Washington Talks

On the eve of talks in Washington between Lebanese and Israeli ambassadors, Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said Beirut would seek an extension of the 10-day, U.S.-mediated ceasefire, which is set to expire on Sunday. The talks, set to continue on Thursday at the U.S. State Department, represent a diplomatic track that has so far paused strikes in ...

Lebanese and Syrian Security Forces Bust Cross-Border Drug Ring

The Lebanese General Directorate of Internal Security Forces – Public Relations Division announced in an official statement on Wednesday a series of coordinated operations targeting drug trafficking networks operating across borders. According to the statement, the operation was carried out as part of ongoing efforts by the Central ...

Ceasefire Efforts Collapse as Iran Rejects Talks: Report

Efforts to broker a ceasefire between the United States and Iran have collapsed, as Tehran rejected direct engagement with Washington and regional mediation initiatives stalled, signaling a deepening deadlock as the war enters its sixth week. According to The Times of Israel, Iran has informed mediators it will not participate in proposed talks ...

Trump Says U.S. Military to Stay Deployed Near Iran Until 'Real Agreement' Reached

U.S. President Donald Trump said late Wednesday that U.S. forces deployed near Iran would remain stationed in the area until a "real agreement" is reached, as Washington enters a fragile two-week ceasefire with Tehran. The truce reached Tuesday showed signs of unravelling, with Israel bombarding Lebanon and Washington contradicting some of Iran's ...

Hegseth Hails Iran Victory as U.S. Military Presence Continues

U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said Wednesday that American forces have achieved a “historic and overwhelming victory” against Iran, while stressing that U.S. troops will remain deployed in the region to ensure compliance with a tentative peace agreement. Speaking at a Pentagon press conference, Hegseth underscored that despite President ...

Iran Parliament Speaker Says U.S. Plots Ground Attack Despite Diplomatic Efforts

Iran's parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said Sunday that the United States was plotting a ground attack despite publicly engaging in diplomatic efforts aimed at ending the war. Yesterday, CENTCOM announced that the amphibious assault vessel USS Tripoli had joined the military concentration in the region. "The enemy publicly ...

Lebanese PM: Israeli Pullout Key to Peace Agreement

Hours before a second meeting between Israeli and Lebanese Ambassadors is scheduled to take place in Washington, Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam emphasized that “the state's monopoly on weapons is in Lebanon's interest, regardless of Israeli demands.” Speaking to the Washington Post, the Prime Minister said Lebanon ...

Iran Supreme Leader's Adviser Threatens to Sink U.S. Ships in Hormuz Strait

The military adviser to Iran's supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei on Wednesday warned that Iran would sink American ships in the Strait of Hormuz if the United States decided to "police" the key shipping bottleneck. The U.S. is imposing a military blockade of the Strait of Hormuz after Iran blocked shipping during over six weeks of war in a conflict ...

UAE Signals Willingness to Join Military Effort in Hormuz: Report

The United Arab Emirates is preparing to support a potential military operation led by the United States and its allies to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, Arab officials told the Wall Street Journal. If confirmed, the move would mark the first time a Gulf state has formally entered the conflict with Iran. Emirati officials are pushing for a United ...

Lebanon Says Israeli Strikes on Beirut Area Kill 7

The Lebanese health ministry said Wednesday that Israeli strikes on Beirut's southern suburbs and a nearby town killed at least seven people, as Israel's military said it had targeted senior Hezbollah members. Lebanon was drawn into the Middle East war on March 2 when Tehran-backed militant group Hezbollah launched attacks on Israel to ...

Senior U.S. Official to TIB: ‘The United States Supports the Sovereignty and Authority of the Lebanese Government’

In an exclusive statement to This is Beirut, a senior U.S. official conveyed support for the Lebanese government’s authority and expressed concern for Iranian infractions against Lebanese sovereignty.  The official said that “the United States supports the sovereignty and authority of the Lebanese government to make decisions ...

Israel Strikes South of Beirut as Hezbollah Launches Rockets at Israel

Two Israeli strikes on Wednesday hit vehicles south of Beirut, state media reported, while Hezbollah launched rockets at Israel, soon after Lebanon and Israel agreed to continue holding direct talks.  The Israeli military also renewed its call for residents of a swathe of southern Lebanon to leave as it continues to bomb the area. Despite its ...

UAE to Exit OPEC Amid Surging Oil Prices

The United Arab Emirates will withdraw from OPEC and the OPEC+ on May 1, state media reported Tuesday, describing the move as a strategic decision by the major oil producer. "This decision reflects the UAE's long-term strategic and economic vision and evolving energy profile," the official Emirates News Agency said.  The United Arab Emirates ...

Unified Message from Beirut MPs: Exclusive State Control and "weapons-Free" City

  In a show of cross-sectarian unity, Beirut MPs on Wednesday called for the capital to be placed fully under state control and declared a “weapons-free city” under the exclusive authority of the Lebanese Armed Forces and security agencies. “Beirut must be free of weapons, and we want to see the Lebanese army deployed in all the streets ...

Iran Military Vows to 'Soon Respond' After U.S. Destroyer Hits Cargo Ship

Iran's military has vowed to respond after a U.S. destroyer on Sunday fired on an Iranian-flagged cargo ship in the Gulf of Oman that tried to evade a U.S. naval blockade. "We warn that the armed forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran will soon respond and retaliate against this armed piracy and the U.S. military," said a spokesperson for the ...

Syria Says Foiled Cross-Border Attack by Assad Remnants, Hezbollah

Syria's interior ministry said Sunday that security forces thwarted an alleged cross-border attack from the country's territory planned by remnants of ousted leader Bashar al-Assad and cells linked to Iran-backed Hezbollah. From March 2 until a 10-day ceasefire went into force on April 17, Hezbollah was battling Israel after drawing Lebanon into ...

U.S. and Iraq to 'Intensify Cooperation' Against Attacks

The United States and Iraq will "intensify cooperation" to prevent attacks and ensure Iraqi territory is not used to launch assaults against US facilities, Washington's embassy in Baghdad said in a statement. Since the war began on February 28 with US-Israeli strikes on Iran, Iraq has been increasingly drawn into a conflict it had sought to avoid ...

Israel-Lebanon Negotiations: Who Are the Key Participants?

As Israel and Lebanon enter their first direct diplomatic talks in decades, a group of senior diplomats and officials have taken center stage in Washington. Hosted by the United States, the meeting brings together representatives from all three sides amid ongoing war and deep political tensions. Below is a profile of each key participant, their ...

Trump Administration Proposes 15-Point Plan to End Iran War

The Trump administration proposed a 15-point plan delivered by Pakistan that highlighted conditions to Iran for the U.S. to end its war against the country.  In a speech at the White House on Tuesday, U.S. President Donald Trump stated that the U.S. is currently conducting negotiations with Iran, and that “they want a deal very ...

Trump Agrees to Ceasefire Following Day of Threats and Diplomatic Oscillation

U.S. President Donald Trump announced a two-week ceasefire between the United States and Iran on Tuesday evening following a day marked by sharp escalation, stalled diplomacy, and last-minute re-engagement. Earlier in the day, Trump dramatically escalated his rhetoric, warning on Truth Social that “a whole civilization will die ...

Trump Announces Temporary Ceasefire in Lebanon

U.S. President Donald Trump announced Thursday that Israel and Lebanon have agreed to a 10-day ceasefire, set to take effect at 5 p.m. EST, following what he described as “excellent conversations” with Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. According to Trump, both leaders agreed the temporary ...

UAE Announces Travel Ban on Nationals to Iran, Lebanon, and Iraq

The United Arab Emirates foreign ministry on Thursday announced a travel ban on Emirati nationals going to Iran, Lebanon and Iraq, citing regional developments including the Middle East war. Iran has targeted the Gulf nation throughout the Middle East conflict sparked by a U.S.-Israeli attack before a fragile ceasefire was announced, including ...

Iran Says Exchanges with U.S. Via Pakistan Continue After Failed Talks

Iran said Wednesday that exchanges with the United States via Pakistan had continued following failed negotiations over the weekend. "Since Sunday, when the Iranian delegation returned to Tehran, several messages have been exchanged through Pakistan," said foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei in a weekly press briefing. "Today, we are very ...

Hezbollah Resumes Attacks After Short Lull, Report Says

After a brief lull in fire following the April 8 ceasefire with Iran, Hezbollah has resumed attacks on Israeli territory, according to an assessment by the Alma Research and Education Center. According to the report, a total of 1,310 Hezbollah attack waves targeting Israel have been recorded since March 2, with an average of around 30 attacks per ...

U.S. State Department: Lebanon and Israel Agree to Continue Direct Negotiations

The U.S. Department of State released a statement on Tuesday following a trilateral meeting on April 14, 2026, stressing that all sides agreed to continue direct negotiations at a mutually agreed time and venue. The meeting marked the first major high-level engagement between the governments of Israel and Lebanon since 1993, with the ...

Senior U.S. Official to TIB: “Serious Consequences” if Lebanon Fails to Disarm Hezbollah

A senior U.S. official told This is Beirut that Washington has urged Israel to move toward a diplomatic track with Lebanon, adding that Israel has agreed and discussions could be convened as early as next week. The official said the United States expects the Lebanese government to take concrete steps to address and ultimately disarm Hezbollah, ...

Iran's Ex-FM Zarif Blames Talks Failure on U.S. Push to 'Dictate' Terms

Iran's former foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, who led his country's delegation at 2015 nuclear talks, on Sunday blamed the failure of negotiations to end the Middle East war on U.S. attempts to "dictate" its terms. "No negotiations, at least with Iran, will succeed based on 'our/your terms,'" said Zarif, one of the architects of the ...

Lebanese Cabinet Issues Orders to Remove Non-State Weapons From Beirut

The Lebanese government decided on Thursday to ban weapons held by non-state groups in Beirut, a day after deadly Israeli strikes on the capital. “Out of concern for citizens’ safety,” the government “requests that the army and security forces immediately extend state control over the Beirut area and restrict the carrying of weapons there ...